Viking Star Crew Member Overboard in Mediterranean, Search Ongoing

The incident renews scrutiny of cruise ship man overboard detection technology, as rare events at sea can turn into long searches with slim odds of rescue.

Viking Star Crew Member Overboard in Mediterranean, Search Ongoing
Image Credit: The Mirror US

A crew member aboard Viking Cruises’ Viking Star went overboard in the Mediterranean Sea on Monday, Oct. 27, triggering an emergency response and an ongoing search coordinated with the Italian Coast Guard.

What happened aboard Viking Star

Viking said the crew member was seen going overboard at about 11:30 a.m. local time as the ship sailed late morning between the Greek island of Crete and Sicily, Italy. Passengers were notified via an announcement over the ship’s public-address system, according to onboard accounts.

A Fox News producer on the cruise described passengers and crew reacting quickly, with some moving to the railings to look out over the water. Guests also reported seeing a crew member throw an orange life ring into the sea, followed by a smaller ring equipped with a flare, as the ship maneuvered nearby and began circling the area.

Viking Star, which has capacity for up to 930 passengers and about 500 crew members, was en route toward Palermo, Sicily, when the incident occurred.

Italian Coast Guard search and the expanded search area

The Italian Coast Guard said it received a report of the overboard incident while Viking Star was about 100 nautical miles southeast of the Calabria coast. Search-and-rescue operations began in the area as the ship continued its emergency procedures.

As the operation continued, the cruise director told passengers that the search area had been expanded. Viking and the Italian Coast Guard did not release additional operational details about the search pattern or resources used.

By Monday evening, authorities released Viking Star from its role in the search, and the ship resumed its voyage. Search-and-rescue units remained active as efforts continued to locate the missing crew member.

Viking’s statement and what has not been disclosed

In an emailed statement, Viking said, “The ship’s emergency response was immediately activated, and an extensive search operation was launched, in coordination with the Italian Coast Guard.”

Viking added, “We are deeply saddened by what has occurred. Our thoughts are with the family of our crew member, and we will continue to support them during this difficult time.” The cruise line said it would provide updates “when they become available and appropriate.”

The company has not released the crew member’s identity or explained how the person entered the water, citing privacy considerations for the individual and their family. A passenger account indicated it appeared the missing crew member was on the ship’s second deck when the incident happened.

Itinerary changes during the emergency response

Viking Star was operating an eight-day, seven-night Mediterranean itinerary that began in Athens, Greece. The sailing included calls in Turkey and Crete before the ship continued toward Sicily, and the itinerary was altered during the response.

  • The ship was sailing from Crete toward Sicily when the crew member was reported overboard at about 11:30 a.m. local time. Viking Star maneuvered in the area as the Italian Coast Guard coordinated the search.
  • The vessel was scheduled to arrive next in Palermo, Sicily, but later docked at the Port of Messina instead. The ship resumed its voyage after being released from search participation later on Oct. 27.
  • Following the Sicily call, the itinerary was scheduled to continue to Naples and then Civitavecchia, the cruise port used for Rome. Viking and authorities have not provided further details on any additional itinerary adjustments beyond the reroute to Messina.

Overboard detection questions and broader industry context

Viking did not answer a follow-up question about whether Viking Star is equipped with an overboard detection system, technology designed to alert crews quickly if a person enters the water.

Overboard incidents remain relatively rare, but rescue rates have historically been low. Statistics compiled for Cruise Lines International Association by G.P. Wild (International) Limited counted 212 overboard incidents worldwide from 2009 to 2019, involving both passengers and crew members, with 48 people rescued.

Brian Salerno, a former senior vice president of global maritime policy for the Cruise Lines International Association, previously told USA TODAY in 2023, “I’ll stress that people don’t just fall over the side. There are railings and they’re pretty high. It’s almost always the result of an intentional act.” Viking has not stated whether this incident was accidental or intentional.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Where did the crew member go overboard from Viking Star?

The Italian Coast Guard said the ship was about 100 nautical miles southeast of the Calabria coast when it received the report. Viking said the incident occurred while the ship was sailing between Crete and Sicily.

What is the Viking Star’s current itinerary after the incident?

Viking Star embarked on an eight-day Mediterranean itinerary beginning in Athens, Greece, with stops that included Turkey and Crete. The ship was scheduled to call next at Palermo, Sicily, but docked at Messina instead, and it was expected to continue toward Naples and then Civitavecchia near Rome.

Is Viking Star equipped with an overboard detection system?

Viking did not provide an answer when asked whether Viking Star has an overboard detection system.

How common are overboard incidents on cruise ships?

Statistics compiled for Cruise Lines International Association by G.P. Wild (International) Limited counted 212 overboard incidents worldwide from 2009 to 2019, with 48 people rescued.

What support is Viking providing to the crew member’s family?

Viking said it is “deeply saddened” by the incident and added, “Our thoughts are with the family of our crew member, and we will continue to support them during this difficult time.” The cruise line has not shared additional details, citing privacy considerations.