Ocho Rios Reopens to Cruise Passengers After Hurricane Melissa

Ocho Rios’ return shows how cruise lines can jump-start a storm-hit tourism economy while doubling as supply pipelines, even as other Jamaican ports lag in repairs.

Ocho Rios Reopens to Cruise Passengers After Hurricane Melissa
Image Credit: Jamaica Information Service

Jamaica welcomed cruise passengers back to Ocho Rios on November 11, 2025, when Holland America Line’s Zuiderdam became the first ship to call with guests since Hurricane Melissa struck the island late last month. The restart comes as Jamaica repairs port and tourism infrastructure damaged by the Category 5 storm and works toward a government target of fully restoring tourism operations by December 15.

Ocho Rios reopens with the first post-storm passenger calls

Zuiderdam arrived in Ocho Rios at 8 a.m. local time on Tuesday, November 11, as part of a 14-night Caribbean sailing that embarked from Miami on November 1. Holland America Line President Beth Bodensteiner said the company returned in coordination with local partners and framed the visit as part of a broader recovery effort.

“We are honored to return to Ocho Rios and deeply grateful for the collaboration with the port, local community and tour operators,” Bodensteiner said. She added that the line approached the return “with care and respect,” while emphasizing that tourism plays a key role in Jamaica’s recovery.

Zuiderdam is a Vista-class ship with capacity for 1,988 guests, bringing immediate visitor spending to a destination where tourism is a major economic driver.

Relief supplies and on-the-ground support accompanied the return

Alongside passenger operations, Zuiderdam delivered relief goods to Jamaica’s Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management, including food, water, bedding, clothing, and mattresses. Holland America Line also organized volunteer efforts during the call, including a beach cleanup in Seville near Ocho Rios, and fundraising tied to the line’s On Deck for a Cause 5K walk.

Hon. Matthew Samuda, Member of Parliament of Northeast St. Ann, Jamaica, thanked the cruise line for “this incredibly timely donation” of food and water for the tourism corridor. “Every ship that returns to Ocho Rios strengthens jobs, protects livelihoods and helps our community bounce back stronger,” Samuda said.

More ships follow as Jamaica rebuilds port-by-port

Ocho Rios’ initial restart quickly expanded to additional calls and schedule adjustments. MSC Cruises’ MSC Divina docked in Ocho Rios about two hours after Zuiderdam on November 11 as part of a 14-night sailing that embarked from Miami on November 6. Carnival Cruise Line’s Carnival Sunrise called in Ocho Rios on November 12, and Carnival Paradise is scheduled to visit Ocho Rios on November 13 after an itinerary adjustment that swapped a planned Montego Bay call for Ocho Rios.

Hurricane Melissa’s damage left uneven readiness across Jamaica’s ports

Hurricane Melissa struck Jamaica on October 28, 2025, with sustained winds reported at up to 185 miles per hour, described as the strongest storm to hit the country in its history. The hurricane caused widespread flooding and severe infrastructure damage, including to roads, bridges, cruise ports, and airports, while disrupting power across 70% of the island; in some areas, up to 90% of homes were damaged. The storm displaced 25,000 residents and claimed at least 19 lives.

In the weeks after the storm, Jamaica’s main cruise ports of Falmouth, Montego Bay, and Ocho Rios were affected by closures and repairs, leading multiple cruise lines, including Royal Caribbean, Disney, and Carnival Cruise Line, to cancel or reroute scheduled calls.

  • Ocho Rios: Cruise calls resumed on November 11, with returning ships combining passenger operations and supply deliveries.
  • Falmouth and Montego Bay: Cruise operations have faced ongoing disruption, with some ships making humanitarian stops without guest disembarkation and other calls being canceled or replaced.

When Carnival Sunrise returned to Ocho Rios, the Port Authority of Jamaica described the restart of cruise shipping activity as “a critical step” for economic renewal and post-hurricane recovery. The Port Authority also said the port’s restart followed a prolonged closure tied to berth damage, underscoring the infrastructure challenges that can complicate a rapid return to normal operations.

Humanitarian stops and itinerary changes continue during the recovery

Before passenger calls resumed, several cruise ships made short humanitarian stops to deliver supplies while keeping guests onboard. Royal Caribbean International’s Rhapsody of the Seas arrived in Falmouth on November 4 for a brief relief call, offloading more than 120 pallets of bottled water, bedding, medical supplies, and non-perishable food.

“The pallets will be offloaded and then items packaged as relief packages for immediate distribution with the help of GEM our relief partner,” said Michael Bayley, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean International, referring to Global Empowerment Mission.

On the same day, Carnival Cruise Line’s Carnival Horizon made an aid-focused stop in Ocho Rios after canceling a scheduled guest visit. Captain Rocco Lubrano told guests in a letter dated November 2 that shore excursion partners and local infrastructure were not ready for normal operations. Carnival issued refunds for purchased shore excursions, and reimbursed related taxes and fees for the canceled call.

Itinerary changes have continued as repairs and assessments play out across the island. Disney Cruise Line removed a planned Falmouth call for Disney Treasure on December 3, 2025, replacing it with a schedule shift that includes a sea day and a visit to Disney Lookout Cay at Lighthouse Point in The Bahamas.

Donations and logistics support expand as Jamaica restores tourism infrastructure

Cruise companies and partners have combined ship-delivered aid with financial commitments aimed at supporting residents and helping stabilize the tourism economy.

  • Carnival Corporation announced a $1 million donation to Direct Relief in collaboration with the Miami HEAT basketball team and the Micky and Madeleine Arison Family Foundation. “Our connection to Jamaica runs deep, and we need to support its communities now more than ever,” said Josh Weinstein, CEO of Carnival Corporation.
  • Royal Caribbean Group pledged $1 million through Global Empowerment Mission, which has a Caribbean recovery team stationed in Jamaica, and has delivered tens of thousands of supplies via ships such as Rhapsody of the Seas.
  • Disney Cruise Line followed with a $1 million donation to nonprofits including UNICEF USA, World Central Kitchen, and Good360.
  • Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings committed up to $100,000 to the American Red Cross, combining an initial $50,000 donation with a public matching campaign for up to an additional $50,000.
  • MSC Foundation committed to transporting containers of relief supplies at no cost, and delivered emergency items to Ocho Rios on November 11 including 3,360 gallons of bottled water and 264 tarpaulins. “We are deeply committed to supporting the people of Jamaica,” said Pierfrancesco Vago, executive chairman of MSC Cruises and chair of the MSC Foundation Executive Committee.

Carnival’s relief effort also included guest fundraising during voyages, with the company matching guest contributions.

Government sets a December 15 goal for full tourism operations

Tourism Minister Hon. Edmund Bartlett has set December 15, 2025, as the target date for the tourism sector to be fully back in operation following the storm. The Hurricane Melissa Recovery Task Force and the Tourism Resilience Coordination Committee have been overseeing efforts to repair tourism infrastructure, including resorts, attractions, ports, and key transportation corridors.

“Recovery cannot be left to chance. We are aligning marketing, communications, infrastructure repairs, aid, logistics, and every enabling support behind a single objective: full industry operation by December 15,” Bartlett said. He added that progress will be tracked through the Ministry of Tourism with regular public updates so “workers, visitors, and partners can plan with confidence.”

The recovery effort carries significant economic stakes for the island: cruise tourism alone generates approximately $197 million annually and supports jobs in local communities.

Travel conditions remain in flux as rebuilding continues

Beyond cruise logistics, travel conditions have been affected in the storm’s aftermath. The U.S. government increased Jamaica’s travel advisory from Level 2 to Level 3 on October 28, 2025, reflecting a combination of crime, health concerns, and heightened natural disaster risks in the wake of Hurricane Melissa.

With the mid-December target approaching, cruise lines are balancing passenger demand with port-by-port readiness and ongoing humanitarian support, while repairs in areas such as Falmouth and Montego Bay will help determine how quickly Jamaica’s wider cruise network returns to regular schedules.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

When did cruise passengers start returning to Jamaica after Hurricane Melissa?

Cruise passengers began returning on November 11, 2025, when Holland America Line’s Zuiderdam called in Ocho Rios at 8 a.m. local time, followed the same day by MSC Cruises’ MSC Divina.

When is Jamaica aiming to fully reopen cruise and tourism operations?

Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett has set a target for full tourism operations, including cruising, by December 15, 2025. Ocho Rios resumed limited cruise operations on November 11, while other ports, including Montego Bay and Falmouth, have continued repairs and assessments.

How are cruise lines supporting Jamaica’s recovery?

Cruise lines have combined passenger restarts with direct aid. Ships including Zuiderdam and Rhapsody of the Seas delivered relief supplies such as food, water, bedding, and medical items, and some calls in the early recovery period were structured as relief-only stops with guests remaining onboard.

Which cruise companies announced major donations or logistics support?

Carnival Corporation, Royal Caribbean Group, and Disney each announced $1 million commitments, while Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings pledged up to $100,000 through the American Red Cross. MSC Foundation committed to transporting relief containers at no cost and delivered emergency items to Ocho Rios, including 3,360 gallons of bottled water and 264 tarpaulins.