Over 60 Passengers Sue Carnival UK Over Illness Outbreaks on Ventura

The lawsuits follow previous outbreaks aboard Ventura, highlighting ongoing scrutiny of health and sanitation practices on cruise ships and renewed calls for higher industry standards.

Over 60 Passengers Sue Carnival UK Over Illness Outbreaks on Ventura

Over 60 passengers who sailed aboard P&O Cruises ship Ventura in May and June 2025 have filed legal action, alleging they experienced severe gastric illness due to unsanitary conditions and poor food hygiene. UK law firm Irwin Mitchell, representing the claimants, says its clients were afflicted by symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, and fatigue, with some still suffering lasting health impacts.

Allegations of Illness on Recent Sailings

Retirees Steve and Lynn Smith from Southport boarded Ventura on May 10, 2025, for a two-week voyage to the Canary Islands and Madeira. According to Mr. Smith, “We didn’t even get to leave the ship to go on any excursions as we fell ill pretty early into the holiday.” Both say onboard medical staff advised them to isolate, and they report feeling less than fully recovered even a month after disembarkation.

Jason Howard, who traveled on Ventura from May 24, 2025, to Spain and France with his two sons, describes a similar experience. He alleges their cabin was visibly dirty upon boarding, with dust and discarded contact lenses on surfaces, and that their initial cleaning requests went unaddressed for some time. Howard said, “The whole ordeal was awful, and I’m still not right to this day. All I want now are some answers, it’s the least we deserve.”

Irwin Mitchell solicitor Jatinder Paul, who specializes in international personal injury cases, emphasized, “The effects of gastric illness should never be downplayed, as, in some cases, it can lead to serious long-term and permanent health complications.” The firm is suing Carnival UK, P&O Cruises’ parent company, citing repeated passenger reports of dirty cabins, uncovered food, and inadequate hygiene standards onboard.

P&O Cruises confirmed receiving the legal correspondence, stating, “We have received a letter from a law firm and we are investigating the allegations made.” While the cruise line has acknowledged the complaints, it has not publicly confirmed a specific cause of illness. Several passengers from the affected sailings say they were instructed to isolate after reporting symptoms, an industry-standard protocol for limiting the spread of gastrointestinal illness.

Previous Outbreaks and Concerns

This is not the first time Ventura has come under scrutiny. In November 2024, another UK firm, Hudgell Solicitors, filed claims on behalf of 115 passengers alleging similar outbreaks and poor sanitation practices earlier that year. The most notable incident occurred on a May 11, 2024, sailing from Southampton, where P&O Cruises initially stated fewer than 1 percent of guests were affected. However, the Southampton Port Health Authority later suggested the actual number of ill passengers may have exceeded 12 percent.

During those earlier incidents, travelers described uncovered food, repeated contamination of public areas, and insufficient cleaning measures. P&O Cruises has at times responded by adopting enhanced cleaning protocols, yet the recurrence of alleged onboard illness and related claims has prompted calls for stricter standards. Investigations by both passengers’ legal representatives and relevant authorities are ongoing, with no official determination issued across the reported sailings.

Industry Implications and Response

The string of reported outbreaks aboard large vessels such as Ventura raises broader questions about how cruise lines manage sanitation when serving thousands of passengers on any given voyage. While organizations like the Cruise Lines International Association stress the importance of rigorous cleaning and hygiene protocols, inconsistent implementation has drawn criticism. Experts warn that recurring safety concerns could erode consumer confidence and spur regulatory intervention, particularly as the cruise industry rebuilds following pandemic-related challenges.

Passengers with upcoming itineraries on Ventura and other cruise ships are commonly advised to follow onboard health guidelines and monitor official updates, especially if they have preexisting medical conditions or concerns about potential exposure to infectious diseases.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Irwin Mitchell represents more than 60 former Ventura passengers who have filed claims against Carnival UK, the parent company of P&O Cruises.

Which Ventura sailings are involved in the latest complaints?

The primary voyages in question took place in May and June 2025, including a May 10 Canary Islands and Madeira itinerary, as well as a May 24 cruise to Spain and France.

What were the alleged hygiene issues onboard Ventura?

Passengers claim they encountered dirty cabins, uncovered food, dusty or unclean public areas, and evidence of poor sanitation in shared facilities. Some say these conditions contributed to widespread illness.

Has a cause for the 2025 illnesses been confirmed?

No official cause has been identified. P&O Cruises has acknowledged complaints and is investigating, while affected passengers continue to seek clarity on what triggered their symptoms.

What steps has P&O Cruises taken to address sanitation concerns?

The cruise line has reportedly implemented enhanced cleaning protocols and isolation measures for symptomatic guests, though recurring complaints suggest additional or stricter procedures may be necessary. Investigations are ongoing.

As lawsuits unfold, those who fell ill hope their stories and legal claims will prompt P&O Cruises to bolster health and safety measures, ensuring future travelers can enjoy trips without similar risks.